9 to 5: The Musical
Sep. 27th, 2008 07:30 pmHands hurt so I'll just paste what I wrote to my brother:
It was good, not great. Some great performances with the material, though. Very strong cast. Really efficient and imaginative set design. Allison Janney can sing like Rosalind Russell can sing. Actually, probably a bit better than that. But she has yet to learn the difference between merely projecting and singing. There are times when she speak/projects when she shouldn't. Although I agree that I'd rather have a singing actress who can really act in a major role than a good singer who is a so-so actor and has a good instrument but unimaginative interpretation. Was happy to see a couple heavyset women and a bald guy in active roles in a musical. Gives me hope.
It was good, not great. Some great performances with the material, though. Very strong cast. Really efficient and imaginative set design. Allison Janney can sing like Rosalind Russell can sing. Actually, probably a bit better than that. But she has yet to learn the difference between merely projecting and singing. There are times when she speak/projects when she shouldn't. Although I agree that I'd rather have a singing actress who can really act in a major role than a good singer who is a so-so actor and has a good instrument but unimaginative interpretation. Was happy to see a couple heavyset women and a bald guy in active roles in a musical. Gives me hope.